Saturday, November 14, 2009

a different outing..

After several debates and discussions an arguments with my father about it, I finally thought "ok...ill give it a go". Partly because of the respect to our discussions always ending with dad saying.." You wont know till you experience it" with me winning the discussions hands down with all my logic. Also because I have known my father to be a reasonable man. I had to know why was he devoted to this "Brahmavidya" cause, the name that sure sounds like the dozens of spiritual courses people turn to at old age.

So I packed my bags and came here. Andheri East it is, Mahakali caves to be precise. I had been given a timetable for 6 days including the day I reach and the day the camp ends. The schedule was pretty engaging to say the least. I reached sharp at 4 in the afternoon on the first day as was the schedule. As I had thought, at first I could not find anybody of my age. Most of them seemed above 65. Some middle aged and many others, housewives. As I counted today, we are a total of 17. And well, there is someone of my age, a girl named Monali (from what i gathered from the initial introduction)

I wont talk about the course here as it is not relevant, neither for me, nor for the readers here. The place, itself is amazingly quiet. Located on a small hilltop, it is actually part of the campus of a local church. There are many activities in here from learning music to marriages to spiritual learning to religious prayers and even scientific workshops. The centre I am living in is called 'Atma-Darshan'. (A place to meet yourself)
Its a nice place as I mentioned anyway, the facilities are pretty awesome I must say, especially compared to what I had in mind. Extremely clean rooms, decent toilets and a big mess with square tables for 4. So yeah, coming back to where I was, we had a formal introduction: to the teachers and to one another. Here too (as it usually is :P), I got all the attention along with the girl, us being the two young participants. I got some applause for saying I had come here cos my dad had told me to.

I really find old people,...pardon me for the use of this word,.. extremely 'cute'. One old lady fondly introduced herself to us as "I am his wife" pointing to his husband sitting in the front row, she seemed completely happy to have that identity. And then with a cheerfulness resembling a kid's, said "I am happy to come here". Two are doctors, one professor, the girl I mentioned has done a Bachelors in Architecture.
The room is neatly arranged with two single beds at each side of the room. There is a big wide study table with two chairs, atop is a small wall hanging statue of Jesus Christ and a calender that says "I believe in you, Jesus" (The place belongs to christian missionaries). My roommate is a middle aged man (the age of my dad may be..). Had a few talks with him, but he genrally is pretty quiet and prefers to keep to himself. He offered me chikki yesterday which I didnt refuse.

Well today, the second day. Woke up at 5 30, a time not seen for a long time now as 6 o clock is tea time. After the initial session of imparting us with the introduction of what we are going to learn we had a break to have breakfast and have our bath, if not taken already. I had a quick bath and then had to engage myself with the exercise of carrying filled buckets from the place where the water heater was to different bathrooms which belonged to old ladies or those suffering with back ache (Beleive me, most of them did). I thought of the gym and why I had been irregular. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is a simple affair here with the food kept on the big table at the far end of the mess and everone serving themselves. I sit with my roommate and we eat silently, with an occassional conversation like "the place is good, the dahi is nice"... Most part of the day (7 hours to be precise) is spent in learning what I am supposedly here for.
The practice tonight got over at 6 30 and I ventured around looking for a cyber cafe, mainly to check my mails and share this. It is already 8 and I think I'll have to have dinner outside. With the early breakfast and lunch, I am pretty hungry. I am thinking dominos, garcia's or a kabab place nearby....will sign off now...keep visiting...

6 comments:

Nikhil said...

Nice description. Intersting locale. Your decision to have dinner outside of your schedule is perplexing. I suppose a large part of learning what you don't understand but want to is following instructions.

Is that all though? No activities or anything of any kind? Well like people say the only things worth learning cannot be taught.

Will check back here tomorrow.

karen said...

Well, seems like an interesting place, do tell us more about the place and what u learnt.

Reshma said...

:)Glad to hear from you. This camp seems very interesting... do keep writing.Also give us an idea about what you are being taught there.

madZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
madZ said...

keep writing...nice to read about ur venture...tc :)

NEx'''® said...

kya baatee!!!

monaliiii!!!

hehehe...good to see u have company...and good to know that ur gym training has come handy...she must be very impressed by your social work....:p

everything out there seems slow and peaceful...if not anything i guess its a good break from the daily hush and bush in mumbai...
(not that we are doing any hushing or bushing like that ...but still)

good to hear from you... keep writing...