Tuesday, November 17, 2009

smiling around...

Would like to share something interesting, might sound like a familiar story, but something very basic to human nature to ponder upon. There is this aged man in our group, here in this camp, somewhere in his 70', may be 80's. He was pretty grim faced for the first two days, had sat with me for dinner once without speaking a word to me or even looking at me through those 20 minutes. I could be wrong, but he seemed like the kind who hate this world, for it has given less than they actually deserve. It seemed like he had his set of prejudices as we had heard him vehemently speak against the idea of religious equality as suggested by our teacher. He had gone on saying "they are the ones who start it... they dont consider us equal, why should we..."
On the 4th day,that is yesterday, as I was having dinner he came and occupied a position right opposite me. I don't know why, but I got a feeling he had found me. Then I saw him smiling for the first time as he was looking at me. The next instant, he started telling me his story.
"My father passed away when I was 2, studied through whatever he had left us till primary. I struggled for the basic needs starting from food as I started looking for a job when I was 15. How would one have the mind to learn these philosophies and idealisms when all he thinks about is how he could have his next meal. I got married at 20, and when I was your age, I had a son. I came here thinking it would get me rid of my ailments. But I am not sure about these spiritual teachings." He spoke with such intensity that the Father of the church, who was having lunch in the same mess had to gesture him to speak in a lower volume.
Wow, I thought. Here is a man expressing himself in front of someone at least 50 years younger to him, and with such zeal. We spoke a little more. I wished he would speak more. But soon lunch time was over, his plate was empty and he got up to wash them. (We wash our plates here) This It would be one of the most interesting and conversations I have ever had and was left pondering over it. I was pretty moved.

4 comments:

Nikhil said...

yes, a compassion evoking tale indeed. Just as all of us(if not more so) the elderly too like to voice their thoughts.

Very often, as generations go by, just like children feel no one is listening to them, the elderly feel the same way. And its true too. Their own kids begin to feel they know better, or are better equipped to make decisions. which maybe true too.

So all they want is someone to talk to. you can feel pretty happy about the fact that you got to be party to such an event with a stranger.

I have seen on American TV shows, where children go to old age homes and be a friend to one elderly person. which makes them "kush" :)

Everybody needs someone to be a listener. How many will take the time to be that listener?

NEx'''® said...

shea... no mention of any girls in this blog... disappointing...:p

it must be a gr8 feeling to have the time to get to know various kinds of people around...and hear what they have to say...especially from those who have seen the world more than us...

hope u have a good last few days...

Reshma said...

Completely agree with Nikhil.. That uncle must have felt very happy talking to you.
This camp will turn out to be a good experience for you :)

madZ said...

sumtimes listening to another person's story teaches u a lot....tc..have a nice time....